We recently bought a flat in a house (in Northern Europe) with 5 flats in total. It does not have any bicycle storage at the moment. We discussed with the other owners of the flats to build an external bicycle storage on the property of the house.
Right now I am just trying to gather some ideas of what could be potential solutions. I am having a hard time trying to visualise the space requirements for 10 bicycles and coming up with a design that is somewhat space efficient while also making it easy to get the bikes in and out.
- We are calculating that each flat would store max 2 bikes in it so we need build/(buy?) something that can store 10 bicycles in total.
- It is important that we can get the bicycles in and out without much trouble because we are using them often.
- The weather here can be really bad with wind and rain coming from any and all directions so we would like to have a full enclosure.
- For security it would be great if the bicycles could be locked inside the bike storage, in addition to being able to lock the door to the storage.
- The bike storage should ideally not be bigger than 15 square meters because that would require getting permission from the city.
- If possible it would be great if we can move the bicycle storage to a different spot on the property at some point.
- Cost is obviously a factor but should not limit the discussion. If there is a perfect solution but it costs more than all the other ones then I would seriously consider it.
EDIT: Some users have suggested that my question is a duplicate of this one. It does deal with part of my question but does not focus on the shelter part which is very important where we live.