I’ve been having some bottom bracket (BB) woes. Noticed a click on the top of the left pedal stroke so decided to re-grease the BB. Took it apart cleaned and re-greased everything, then put it back together.
Roll forward a week. I notice that my cranks sticking here and there, it gets progressively worse on the ride. I get it home and off the bike notice my bike has turned into a rain-stick (this provided no calming effect).
Queue another strip down of the BB. Upon inspection, I found all the bearings on the non drive side were out of the cage, which now would no longer hold them. I pinched the cages with pliers to secure the ball bearings back in place, re-greased & repacked.
I lifted my bike out today for my cycle to work and jingle-jingle; LOOSE BEARING! Cycle to work was sub 3 miles so risked it. Want to take care of this ASAP, so my questions are:
1. I figure I am over-tighting the bottom bracket, causing the damage to the cage, however what else could cause it?
2. What size bearings does an Italian threaded BB take?
- Campagnolo Italian threaded
- plastic sleeve is in two parts, the smaller part pushes into the other.
- 2 caged bearings from memory 8/9 bearings in each cage.
- Two screw-in cones, one locking.
Here are pics of my spindle:
Brev. whatever that means