This question already has an answer here:
I have a urban style bike that I want to convert from flat bars to drops.
Can anyone suggest brake levers that:
- will be compatible with the BR-M355 calipers that came with the bike
- will be compatible with the hoses fitted to the bike
- are of standard brake hood construction and can be used as a comfortable hand position on drops (i.e. I'm not looking to somehow bodge installation of MTB levers)
- are easily available in the UK
- are not crazy expensive (< £200)
- don't involve/require a cable to hydraulic conversion mechanism
Ideally, I'd prefer the levers don't include an derailleur gear shift mechanism, because the bike has an Alfine hub, for which I'll make separate provision for shifting. However, provided any derailleur shift system can be left disconnected without impacting comfort and braking performance, I could live with it.
If I absolutely have to, I could replace the levers, hoses, calipers and disks, but I'd rather not spend the money replacing the whole brake system if I can get away with only replacing the levers.
I understand the geometry of drops on this bike might not be ideal, and some may feel I would be better off simply replacing this bike with a road bike. That's not an option for me, and neither is owning a second bike.