I have a RockShox SID Race (not sure what year) that doesn't compress at all when I fully pump it with a floor pump, wondering if I have to take it apart and add oil or anything to make the fork compress?Fork Air ChartFork

This is the valve at the bottom? enter image description hereenter image description here

  • Forks need maintenance, yes. My RockShox Lyrik is only three years old, but it got significantly smoother again when I had it serviced recently. On another bike I had a Suntour fork that had become almost completely useless after two years (admittedly, I used it on rougher trails that it was designed for), and which I just replaced with a better fork. Mar 15, 2022 at 20:54
  • Its Dual air, has a valve on the bottom and top. Let the air out the bottom, and add about 50psi to the top, does it move (will be too soft for most riders)? For accurate pressure you need a shock pump, especially for the lower valve that has a tiny air volume. Regardless, they can almost certainly do with a service as dual air will be at least 10 years old.
    – mattnz
    Mar 15, 2022 at 22:18
  • I found something that llooks like a valve, but when i tried to let air out, this yellow liquid also came out, is that the oil? Because I don't have any fork oil so i can't replenish the reservoirs. I put some more pics of the valve.
    – Keyin Liu
    Mar 16, 2022 at 0:24
  • 1
    @KeyinLiu If you don’t have fork oil, I think adding motor oil or even cooking oil might be better than no oil. How much came out? There isn’t much to begin with; you can’t afford to lose much.
    – MaplePanda
    Mar 16, 2022 at 2:39
  • 1
    Servicing instructions for a 2011 SID Dual Air here. cdn.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/… (Your will be very similar, check exact year for oil volumes and viscosity) .
    – mattnz
    Mar 17, 2022 at 0:21


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.