I'm replacing the cassette and chain on my Cannondale Synapse 2016 bike, and really struggling to understand where the spacers go on the cassette. No combination seems to work properly when changing gear.
The groupset is Ultegra (11-speed Di2), the new cassette is the Shimano CS-R8000 11-speed 11-32T, the new chain is the Shimano CN-HG701-11, and the hub is Hunt 11-speed (Hunt Limitless 48 wheel). So I believe everything is compatible.
The cassette came with 3 spacers and 11 cogs in 8 sections (11-12-13-14-16-18-20/22-25/28/32T). From research on the interwebs, it seems that I should use 1 spacer with a road hub. This is what I've tried so far:
- One spacer below (ie behind) the 32T cog
- One spacer below the 18T cog
- One spacer below the 16T cog (I think this was like the old cassette)
- Combination of 1 and 2 above
- Combination of 1 and 3 above
- Combination of 1, 2, and 3 above (lockring won't lock properly like this)
- No spacers - I'm going to try this next, but not hopeful as cassette will be even more loose than with one spacer.
None of the above combinations work properly when changing gear. With 1 spacer, the cassette seems too loose. With 2 spacers, the cassette seems stable, but won't engage the 32T cog properly and also refuses to change past the other cog with the spacer. With 3 spacers, the cassete is stable, but the lockring doesn't lock and gear changing doesn't work.
Does anybody know the right combination of spacers that should work?