I'm planning on buying a bike for city commute.
My commute to work is approximately 12km (7.5 miles) one way. I live in Vancouver which means:
- I'll be riding in rainy weather frequently.
- I'll be going up and down hills.
- I'll be going through lots of intersections (meaning lots of stopping and starting again).
And I'll be commuting mostly during the rush hour.
Here are a few questions:
- Since I'll be riding in rainy weather: a) should I get a bike that has disc brakes? I read somewhere that they behave better than rim brakes. b) should I get a bike that has hydraulic vs wire brakes?
- Since I'll be going up and down hills, I'll be changing gears. Are bar-end shifters the best choice for this type of riding? Or are they meant for rides where the gears don't change often.
- What kind of tires should I be looking for? I figure (intuitively) thinner tires are faster, but since I'll be riding in rainy weather should I opt for thicker tires (more surface area)?
Is there any other thing I should be looking into?