I have a one inch crack in the topside centre of my top tube in my Ti bike. Is this a problem in terms of frame integrity or? Is it fixable? The bike was hand built by a local well known frame builder, who is no longer in the biz

  • 3
    Add a picture please.
    – Eric S
    Jun 18, 2018 at 18:00
  • 1
    Can you take a picture, upload to Imgur and add a link to it in your question please. (Someone will edit the picture inline for you, which you wont be able to do until you get some upvotes.) Jun 18, 2018 at 18:01
  • 2
    It's a bad thing that he's no longer in the business because in a handbuilt frame the damaged tube could be replaced, especially by the guy who built it. If the man's still among the living there's a chance that he might give you a colleagues address. I'd begin there!
    – Carel
    Jun 18, 2018 at 18:17
  • 3
    A more significant question is "what caused the crack". Jun 18, 2018 at 19:02
  • 2
    If the builder is still around, ask their advice. No framebuilder wants to see their bikes fail.
    – Criggie
    Jun 19, 2018 at 3:20

1 Answer 1


Unfortunately, the best thing to do is to change the frame.
As the builder is no longer in the biz, I guess it will be more difficult to find someone who can fix your frame properly.

You can still ride your bike even with the crack, BUT, the frame is now fragile because of this crack. The crack can grow bigger and bigger with vibrations and at some point, the frame will break on an impact. So you better avoid this case by changing your frame.

  • 4
    Hard to justify "you can ride the bike with the crack" when we haven't even seen a photo.
    – Criggie
    Jun 21, 2018 at 2:52
  • 1
    I agree. Without a photo we don't know if it's either the frame or the paint which is cracked. So, still waiting to see a photo.
    – Panchoa
    Jun 21, 2018 at 7:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.